That sounds super serious, doesn’t it? Well, it’s not. I’m literally talking about dreams and the evil ways our brains fuck with us. Maybe I should write a book: When Dreams Attack: 365 Nights of Terrible Dreams.
There are mornings when I wake absolutely knackered because I had the worst dreams. Not nightmares, mind you, I enjoy those. No, the dreams I hate and the ones that exhaust me are the dreams that are B.O.R.I.N.G.
- You try to drive but the car will only go 2 miles an hour and will only turn left.
- You want to go somewhere, but you never actually leave. You just sit around wishing you were there without ever getting to go.
- You try to call someone but the phone doesn’t work.
- You’re tired and you have to pee, but you can’t sleep and all the toilets are unusable.
You know, bullshit like THAT. I hate those dreams.
Some dreams are great. My Devany Miller series started with a dream. Watching Neutria (though I didn’t know her name at the time) peel that man like a banana and emerge from his head was a fucking HIGHLIGHT. I LOVED that dream. Getting chased by the pimply teenaged serial killer with his book of murder was FUN. (Weird, but fun. And no, I’ve never written a book about him, but there’s time.)
The dreams that suck, though, are the ones where I am never satisfied.
- Oh, you can fly, but only if you are tilted at a precise 32° angle. Otherwise you will fall flat on your face.
- Super hot person who wants you? Let’s make sure you are always in the middle of a crowd and you can never actually have sex.
- Having sex? Too bad you can’t finish because there’s a bear … or another person … or an earthquake.
- Pee. Seriously. Why are all the toilets unusable? I call foul.
Dreams are great fodder for stories, so if you aren’t keeping track of your dreams, start writing them down when you first wake up. You may have to keep at it, because remembering them takes practice. Just don’t write down the boring ones so you don’t reinforce them in your head. No point in giving the asshole part of your brain ammunition to use against you. 😀
That’s it. That’s all I had to say today. (And yeah, this is inspired by a stupid dream I had last night. There were zombies but my brain was most concerned with the prongless plug. LAME.)
Comments are closed.